Wednesday 19 September 2018

Photo-Art-Therapy



This is my most treasured camera, that I spent many years carrying and using. This
camera, along with an Olympus Trip and an old enlarger, were the tools the young people
used to undertake therapeutic photography with me, in a therapeutic community. This
activity provided the nudge to train as an Art Therapist.

As a child I had used the Canon's predecessor, a Russian Zenith B, to create constructed
images on cheap Eastern European slide film. I was amazed at how unquestioningly
adults would accept photographs as being 'OF' something 'REAL'. For me, with poor
eyesight, the photographs I took mediated the only way I ever saw a world both sharp and
made up of straight lines. Before photography I had a choice of 2 worlds, a blurred one or
one barrel distorted by strong spectacle lenses.

I worked for a time in that therapeutic community, using therapeutic photography, in
camera and darkroom, with adolescents to explore their world with them. The strength of
staff and residents' responses to these images, and to other art making, led me to apply to
train as an Art Therapist. The curator of this exhibition interviewed me and was surprised
to be presented with a portfolio of photographs. I funded myself to train by resuming
working as a freelance photographer during my training.

While training and in my first job after qualifying, I participated in family therapy and
realised the importance of images in the narratives we construct around our histories.
Photo-Art-Therapy has been a thread woven into my practice throughout. Initially
manipulating Polaroid images, photocopies, and creating collages with scissors and glue
were the primary photographic contributions. More recently digital devices from Nintendo
DSi to smart-phones have created any photographic dimensions of art psychotherapy
practice. Very few clients use photography and then only occasionally in sessions, but
often make images between sessions that will serve as catalysts to process in the hour in
the art therapy room.

The space in the art room may be filled with messy poster paint, glue, balsa wood, chalk
and oil pastels, but the visual lives of many people now are dominated by tiny screens.
The opportunity to expand beyond the phone-frame is rare. For many, there is a struggle
to contain such unstructured and unlimiting space, which we, as Art Psychotherapists can
offer. A century after the invention of the Kodak Brownie, the democratisation of smartphone
photography and online galleries may further inhibit people from depth of
engagement with images.

Now the Art Therapist has an extra dimension to their practice when words are not
enough.

Mark Wheeler has been an Art Therapist for over 25 years, working in Child & Family Therapy NHS (CAMHS) and a small private practice. Mark undertakes direct work with individuals, families and groups, as well as offering clinical supervision to many mental health professions. Mark engages people in conversations about and with their images. These may include drawings, paintings, sculptures as well as family photographs. Mark also facilitates workshops and training events. Mark arrived in the arts therapies via photography, becoming interested in the psychological dimensions of making and viewing images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions : If you are interested in contributing to this archive of art therapy objects please email me ...