Wednesday 19 September 2018

My Mother’s Paint Box




Rolled round my tongue from early years, these words;
Prussian, Gamboge, Vermillion
Ultramarine from over the seas.
You smiled at my talk of Yellow Ogres 
Stalking across the Burnt Sienna, 
Told me tales of mango-leaf fed cows,
enslaved to the colour Yellow.
In powdery Cobalt I painted a bridge 
Re-stirring that lurch of our Austin 7 down the Lichfield Road
With its alchemic mix of excitement and fear.
You named the serious poison mined for that jewel shade
Payne’s Grey was your favourite,
For misty, mutable light, rain and melting clouds, 
But when black was vital 
We mixed the primaries
To a host of relative darks.

My mother, Vera, an art teacher and keen amateur painter, died in 1986 just prior to my beginning on the Sheffield Art Therapy training programme. She always encouraged my painting, drawing and interest in the history of art, and her interest in arts and wellbeing was formative in my life. 

I inherited her travelling paint box which reminds me of her encouragement to always be ready to make art.

Laura Richardson was born in Walsall in the West Midlands, and studied English and American Literature at the University of East Anglia. Following a period of working in a collective and as a volunteer counsellor in Oxford she came to Sheffield to study art therapy in 1987. She also holds a BA in Fine Art, and an MA in art psychotherapy research. She has worked in Sheffield in the voluntary sector with children and families, in the Social Services mental health day service, and for 26 years in the NHS mental health service before retiring in December 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions : If you are interested in contributing to this archive of art therapy objects please email me ...