Wednesday 19 September 2018

Art therapy tin: Tools of the trade




This slightly battered old biscuit tin probably dates from the 1950’s and was salvaged during the clear-out of a friend’s great aunt’s home upon her death around 1995. I was helping my friend sort out the houseful of accumulated belongings collected over a lifetime when I spotted the tin. Unassuming in many ways but I immediately felt affection for this object and sensed it’s potential. As many of the old lady’s possessions were to end up at the Salvation Army, I was allowed to take this tin when I left to start a new life with me.

At first I kept threads and sewing equipment in the tin, but when I started training to be an art therapist in 2010 I decided it was perfect for carrying my art therapy tools and equipment with me on my placement in school and I have used it ever since for that purpose. The tin, once bright, shiny and even possibly classy, is now a little worn, scratched and dented. At the same time it also seems homely and cared for and, having been around for several decades now, it has seen a thing or two. I rather like its bevelled corners and top, softening any hard angles, as well as the reassuringly tight fit of the lid. An appropriate container I think for the endless possibilities of the art therapy tools stored within.

I was going to remove and reveal the contents by laying them all out for you to see, but decided to maintain a hint of mystery by keeping them contained within. Suffice to say they consist of multiple tools which enable the young people I work with to find their own way to tell me their stories. The tools enable marking, measuring, outlining, attaching, sharpening, erasing, snipping, cutting, stabbing, slicing, separating, tearing, shaping, bashing, smoothing, sticking, piercing, engraving and decorating of the raw materials of their choice.

At the end of each session the young people’s work is stored safely in their own art therapy boxes while at the end of the day the tools are returned to the tin which is also locked safely away in the cupboard until the following day.

Cecilie Browne was born in Paddington, London in 1963. I have been living and working in and around Sheffield most of the time since 1983. I am an artist, art therapist and community artist and also have a post-graduate diploma in environmental art therapy. I work in a variety of media in a range of contexts with people of different ages, backgrounds, culture and experience. I am constantly intrigued by the variety of human expression and experience while finding solace and inspiration from spending time in nature and with trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions

Curating Art Therapy: A call for submissions : If you are interested in contributing to this archive of art therapy objects please email me ...